More arrests of Turkish trade unionists - take action now!
On 19 February, Turkish police arrested 151 trade union representatives and trade union members. The police have accused the trade unionists of links with terrorist organisations. Most of the arrested persons are members of KESK, the Confederation of Public Employees, and its affiliated unions. These arrests follow the detention of 15 female trade unionists on 15 February 2012 and over 67 members of KESK on 25 June 2012. Many of them are still in jail without facing clear charges and without proper trial.
The European Commission, European governments, international human rights organisations and others have expressed their deep concern about the situation.
Public Services International, the European Federation of Public Services Unions, the International Trade Union Confederation and Education International are launching a major new campaign demanding the immediate and unconditional release of all the arrested union members. We also demand that the Turkish state stop harassing and labelling trade unionists as terrorists.
Please share this campaign with your members and contacts. With your help, we are hoping to obtain 20,000 signatures to send an unprecedented strong message to the Turkish government.
Please find below the letter sent by EPSU to the Turkish authorities.
Thank you for your solidarity.
- Sign the Quality Public Services Charter
- PSI stands with Detroit and public workers
- Korean union official on hunger strike needs your support
- Swaziland - Stop the crackdown on public workers
- Send your protest against arrests in Turkey
- No to Austerity
- Support Algerian hunger strikers
- A Robin Hood Tax for a sustainable world
- A gold medal for solidarity
- Public Services International and the Rio+20 Summit
- Russia and the World Trade Organization
- Chad: Unionists sentenced to prison - send your letter of protest
- Protest against the dismissals and repression of workers in Paraguay
- Take action to support arrested Turkish unionists
- 28 April International Workers' Memorial Day
- Act now to unban the trade union movement in Swaziland
- End violence against women now! International Women's Day 8 March 2013
- International Workers' Day - 1 May 2013
- Letter to Tessaloniki water bidders
- Mexico: Days of action for trade union rights
- More arrests of Turkish trade unionists - take action now!
- PSI continues to support its affiliates in PERU!
- Russia: A power engineer must not be poor
- Solidarity with Korean education support workers
- Turkey: Support the International days of action
- Week of action for Guatemala
- Algeria: Reinstate Rachid Malaoui and end trade union rights violations now!
- Turkey: Stop the judicial harassment of trade unionists
- Take Action: Please send donations for the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan
- Support for innovative non-profit partnerships in the water sector in ACP countries
- Call for a Robin Hood Tax Now
- Defending trade union rights in South Korea
- End Violence against women Now!
- Korea: Support railway workers' right to strike
- PSI denounces Trade in Services agreement
- Stick with it! We want a Financial Transaction Tax now!
- Support Korean workers – hold protests at Korean embassies on 9 and 16 January
- Take Action: Support PSI affiliates in Guatemala
- Take Action: UN derecognizes staff unions, refuses to negotiate
- Urge the Turkish President to let doctors treat their patients
- Peru water privatisation
- Tell Ecuador’s President: Stop the persecution of trade union leader Dr. Carlos Figueroa