We are building a better web presence. Visit our beta website to take part in a better experience which will replace the current site by the end of the year.

1% of the world's population has as much money as the remaining 99%

20 January 2016
Photo: shutterstock
Runaway inequality has created a world where 62 people own as much as the poorest half of the world's population, according to an Oxfam report published ahead of the annual gathering of the world's financial and political elites in Davos.

This number has fallen dramatically from 388 as recently as 2010 and 80 last year.

An Economy for the 1%, shows that the wealth of the poorest half of the world's population - that's 3.6 billion people - has fallen by a trillion dollars since 2010. This 41 per cent drop has occurred despite the global population increasing by around 400 million people during that period. Meanwhile the wealth of the richest 62 has increased by more than half a trillion dollars to $1.76tr. Just nine of the '62' are women.

 

For full report, please click here: http://ow.ly/XjVxc

 

 

Also see