PSI has played a leading role in advancing gender equality and gender equity issues. Through the development of sound policies and practices, there has been a growth in women activists as well as a stronger focus on integrating gender in trade union work.
Over two-thirds of those who work in public services are women and through their work, these women have been able to build better lives for themselves and their families. The public service is a source of good quality jobs for many women in the Americas. In addition, quality public services help to reduce inequalities, providing the services that women need and that help to bring them out of poverty. There are many success stories that highlight the advancement of women in the Americas over the years. But there is still a lot more to be done – both in unions and in wider society.
PSI Americas will:
- assist affiliates in integrating and involving women activists as key partners in all campaigns;
- work with affiliates to develop the capacity of women activists to develop and lead campaigns and actions that promote quality public services;
- provide tools and materials to help affiliates improve implementation of gender mainstreaming policies in trade unions;
- support affiliates in developing appropriate messaging and empowering women activists to speak at regional and international forums.
Over the last four years, affiliates in PSI Americas have benefitted from the increased involvement of young workers in trade union campaigns and activities. The network of young workers is widening and at the same time, it is deepening solidarity between and among affiliates in the Americas. Our young trade union activists play a key role in the future growth and development of PSI. They are key partners in developing strategies and taking action to promote the value of public services and building the strength and influence of public service sector trade unions in the Americas. PSI Americas will:
- develop and structure programmes and activities that specifically engage and integrate young workers and young trade union activists in PSI’s campaigns;
- work with young trade union activists to prepare materials and tools that will help to build their knowledge, skills and attitudes as young trade union activists;
- work with affiliates to develop the capacity of young trade union activists to develop and lead campaigns and actions that promote quality public services;
- support affiliates in developing and empowering young workers and activists to speak at regional and international forums.
There is more than enough evidence to show that cuts to public services have disastrous impacts on young workers, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, racial and ethnic minorities and other equity-seeking groups. The nature and character of the current globalisation has been at the root of many cases of increased racial and ethnic tensions as well as an increase in xenophobia.
PSI Americas will:
- work with affiliates to ensure the integration and involvement of members from equity-seeking groups in trade union campaigns and actions;
- prepare materials and develop tools that will help affiliates in their fights against all forms of discrimination;
- provide materials and tools that will help affiliates build capacity to protect and promote the rights of migrant workers and their families;
- continue to work with affiliates on race, ethnicity and LGBTQ issues, developing materials and capacity to end discrimination and guarantee human and trade union rights.