We are building a better web presence. Visit our beta website to take part in a better experience which will replace the current site soon!
These are some highlights from around the country:
• At the Welsh assembly, Cardiff, all business has been suspended and Labour and Plaid Cymru AMs have promised not to cross the picket lines
• All national museums in Wales are closed
• At Manchester Crown Court 95% of staff are on strike and no trials have taken place
• At the Metropolitan Police contact centre in Bow, London, just 10 of 60 civilian workers have crossed the picket line. Police officer colleagues have been bringing pickets tea.
• Workers at the GCHQ security centre in Cheltenham are banned by law from striking – so they have been collecting for the PCS hardship fund
• The youth court in Liverpool has been closed by strike action
• Cabinet minister Vince Cable was given a ’68 is too late’ leaflet and took it with him in to work at the business department, Victoria Street, London
• The picket line at Eastbourne jobcentre included employees of G4S on Department for Work and Pensions contracts striking over their own terms and conditions
• Birkenhead, Warrington and Macclesfield county courts are all closed
• There was a picket line outside the jobcentre in prime minister David Cameron’s Witney constituency, Oxfordshire
• 599 of 600 PCS members refused to cross the picket at the Ministry of Defence, Glasgow. Soldiers, who earn 40% more, drafted in to cover their jobs
• Phone lines closed at the Student Loans Company, Glasgow
• Strikers at the Rural Payments Agency in Carlisle featured on BBC radio, ITV and local papers. There was solidarity on the picket line from RMT and Ucatt union members
• For the first time PCS members on government contracts at Balfour Beatty, Glasgow, are on strike over redundancies and pay anomalies
• Brighton office of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is closed
• The Revenue and Customs Wolverhampton Deansgate centre had its strongest strike ever with 81% of members out
• 95% of union members on strike at Wigan jobcentre
• Only one out of six courts sitting at Leicester crown court
• Tate and national museums closed in Liverpool
• Tax enquiry centre closed at Carnbane House, Newry, Northern Ireland.
For more updates see the live blog on the PCS website: