The report of the PSI working group meeting on Safe and Effective Staffing for Health (SESH), that met on 11-12 May 2015 at UNISON in London, is now available for download in English, French and Spanish.
A group of PSI affiliates met with invited experts on Safe and Effective Staffing issuesto develop policy and campaign options for PSI and health and social service unions. The Working Group reviewed union involvement in staffing campaigns and assessed current evidence supporting the relationship between staffing and patient outcomes, staff working conditions, and economic dimensions and effects.
Here are the main points of the report:
- Conclusions of the Working Group
- Commitments to action
- The strength of the evidence
- Staffing methodologies
- Maintaining safe and effective staffing levels
Download the full report here (pdf):
English – French – Spanish
For more information on the PSI working group on Safe and Effective Staffing for Health (SESH) see:
Nurse-to-patient ratios save lives!
Background brief of the SESH Working Group meeting
- Beth Mohle, Queensland Nurses Union (Australia)
- Jane Alison Lawless, Consultant Expert, SESH (Presentation 1 - Presentation 2)
- Jane Ball, University of Southampton (UK)
- Kelly D. Trautner, American Federation of Teachers (USA)
- Odile Frank, Public Services International
- Peter Griffiths, University of Southampton (UK)
- Robert Bonner, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (SA Branch, Australia)
- Liza Di Paolo Sandber, Swedish Municipal Workers Union (Sweden)
- Lisa Fitzpatrick, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (Victoria Branch, Australia)
- Alison Leary, Independent health consultant and researcher (UK)