PSI expressing Solidarity with Quebec Students
Members of the Public Services International executive committee from all four corners of the world, in Geneva for their annual meeting, have expressed support for the students of Quebec.
The students are in struggle because they are unable and unwilling to pay more for access to education, but their struggle has much wider significance. Increases in the cost of education are driven by the same agenda that is making poor people poorer by making them pay for public services. It is also about ensuring that education remains a universal right.
Legislation adopted by the Quebec government not only restricts the rights of association and peaceful assembly but subjects the right to demonstrate to police controls. Even if the government was willing to ensure access to education, nothing would justify suspending the fundamental democratic rights of the people of Quebec.
By declaring a deadlock and breaking off negotiations, the Charest government made Quebec’s social crisis even worse.
Education and public services are of great importance for society, because they allow the redistribution of wealth and the achievement of social justice for all.
The Public Services International affirms that public services are a public good, created in the interest of all and financed for the good of all. We value and defend public services because they are at the heart of democratic societies based on human rights, the rule of law and social solidarity.
The Public Services International demands that the government of Quebec immediately stops violating the fundamental rights of the population and restores the right to education.
- Trade union rights
- Trade union development
- Urgent Actions
- PSI deeply concerned about Russia's situation in the World Trade Organisation
- PSI expresses solidarity with workers and communities affected by recent earthquakes in Italy
- PSI expressing Solidarity with Quebec Students
- PSI sends protest letter to the Turkish Prime Minister
- Solidarity appeals
- 14 November 2012 - European day of action. Public Services International stands in solidarity
- International Labour Conference (ILC)
- Nigeria: Women health workers murdered in Kano province
- PSI Solidarity message to Egyptian trade unions
- Your Future in Public Hands