Executive Board of Public Services International, 24-25 June 2014, Nyon, Suisse
The Executive Board of Public Services International expresses deep concern with the continuous attacks on trade union and worker’s rights. We strongly refute the suggestion that limitations to collective bargaining are acceptable under any circumstances. As public services unions we are committed to protect citizens and users by ensuring they always have access to quality public services, included through regulating essential services. But when a conflict persists workers have only one effective democratic right: the strike.
The PSI Executive Board therefore commits PSI to:
- Launch a global campaign to defend and promote the Right to Strike for all workers
- Lobby governments to take a stand in favor of the ILO supervisory mechanisms
- Call for referral to the International Court of Justice and lobby members of the ILO Governing Body. We need a majority in the ILO GB, which means that PSI affiliates need to lobby trade union national centers and governments.
- Build alliances with other trade unions for this campaign, as well as civil society organizations
- Continue to offer solidarity and assistance to affiliates whose rights are under attack
- Proactively campaign to ensure nations ratify and comply with ILO Conventions 87 and 98
- Lobby inter-governmental bodies and other relevant international agencies and organisations e.g. World Bank, IMF etc. to declare their support for ILO Conventions that guarantee fundamental trade union rights
- Lobby to ensure global free trade agreements include meaningful commitments to labour rights, including compliance with ILO Conventions